CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For English : If you want to get the information about your Class 10 English syllabus, then you are on the right page because we have given complete information about the syllabus of Class 10 English on this page. In this page, we will tell you the information of your syllabus, chapter wise, and unit wise, we will tell you which of your syllabus are important topics. English is an important subject in Class 10. English plays a major role in choosing the career stream at the higher secondary level. Read to know all about the CBSE class 10 syllabus for English.
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For English 2020
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For English: Section A – Reading (Total 12 marks)
- Factual Passage 300-350 words with eight Very Short Answer Type Questions. (8 marks)
- A Discursive passage of 350-400 words with four Short Answer type Questions and four MCQs. (12 marks)
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For English: Section B – Writing skills and Grammar (Total 30 marks)
- Formal letter complaint / inquiry / placing order / letter to editor / article in about 100-150 words. The questions will be thematically based on the prescribed books. (8 marks)
- Writing a short story based on a given outline or cue/s in about 150-200 words. (10 marks)
The Grammar syllabus will include the following areas in class 10:
- Use of passive voice
- Subject-verb concord
(i) Commands and requests
(i) Noun clauses
(ii) Adverb clauses of condition and time
(iii) Relative clauses
The above items may be tested through test types as given below:
- Gap filling with one or two words to test Prepositions, Articles, Conjunctions, and Tenses. (4 marks)
- Editing or Omission (4 marks)
- Sentences Reordering or Sentence Transformation in context. (4 marks)
CBSE Class 10 Syllabus For English: Section C – Literature Textbook And Long Reading Text (Total 30 marks)
- Four VSAQ’s: One out of two extracts from prose/poetry/play for reference to context.
- Four SAQ’s: Questions from the Literature Reader to test local and global comprehension of theme and ideas (30-40 words each)
- One LAQ’s: One out of two long answers type questions to assess how the values inherent in the text have been brought out. Creativity, imagination and extrapolation beyond the text and across the texts will be assessed. (100-120 words).
- One VLAQ’s (Should choose any one from two questions): Question on theme or plot involving interpretation, inference, and character, in about 200-250 words based on the prescribed novel text for extended reading.
- Assessment of Listening and Speaking Skills 50 Periods
- Assessment of Listening and Speaking Skills will be for 05 marks.
- It is recommended that listening and speaking skills should be regularly practiced in class.
- Art-integrated activities like role-playing, skit, dramatization, etc. can also be used.